Review: Moon Called

71811Title: Moon Called
Author: Patricia Briggs
Genre: Urban fantasy, adult

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Goodreads Summary:
Mercedes "Mercy" Thompson is a talented Volkswagen mechanic living in the Tri-Cities area of Washington. She also happens to be a walker, a magical being with the power to shift into a coyote at will. Mercy's next-door neighbor is a werewolf. Her former boss is a gremlin. And she's fixing a bus for a vampire. This is the world of Mercy Thompson, one that looks a lot like ours but is populated by those things that go bump in the night. And Mercy's connection to those things is about to get her into some serious hot water...

Thanks Jessie for the recommendation! This was great!

The only other urban fantasy series I'd read before this one is Anne Bishop's The Others, which is decidedly not typical urban fantasy. I liked how the main character was a paranormal creature instead of a "measly human", which gave hr a lot more leverage when she interacted with the werewolf community. I thought it was pretty cool that Mercy was raised by werewolves even though she wasn't one.

The story picks up quickly, with a rogue werewolf, a bunch of murders, a kidnapping, and a possible betrayal. But after all of that, I think this book was a lot more about getting to know the characters than about the murder mystery. I really like character books, so that was fine by me, but I still felt like the end of the mystery was very unsatisfying.

I enjoyed this book, and I will probably continue with the series.

blog signature photo 4bf1c374-231a-40b6-8756-317f9308721c_zpsf45cae08.jpg
Follow on Bloglovin

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Insidious Side of the Golden Milk Latte

The Supremely Fabulous Fantasy Subgenre Flowchart

Way of Kings Readalong: Wrap-up